Friday, October 29, 2004
Hearing God
Who decided to define the conscience? I mean....who came up with the notion that this voice they kept hearing was only "a part of their brain"...the part "who knew better"? It's totally become acceptable as fact!
I was thinking about it the other day. When those cartoons show a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other....I think they are more accurate.
So when it comes to our conscience! I think it's more a Spirit thing than we can imagine.
If Jesus calls us to come as children....then He must have made things easy to understand. The human race really loves to complicate things (Lynne had the same thoughts today)
I'm trying to simplify.
You see, I'm trying to teach Anneka to hear God. The other day I was making dinner, and she was watching TV. I realized that I couldn't hear anything. Suspicious...I said "Anneka, what are you doing?"
"Watching TV, Mommy"
"Why can't I hear it??"
*silence*
"I was trying to sneak on you." she admitted.
There are some shows (on Teletoon for example) that are just not suitable for a 4-year old. So when she flips thru the channels and sees one, she simply turns the MUTE button on so I can't hear it!
Smart child. Instead of the standard lecture, I casually came in, and sat down on the couch beside her.
"Anneka, when you are doing something that Mommy has told you NOT to do...do you ever hear a voice in your head? A voice that says "I shouldn't be watching/doing this.."?? Or do you ever feel in your heart that what you are doing is wrong?"
I went on to explain that that voice is the Holy Spirit, and He gently reminds us of the RIGHT way, when we are going down the wrong way. I told her that she should always take note of what that voice is saying...because it's a voice that unlike Mommy's...is ALWAYS with her, even when Mommy is not.
It got me thinking that this was such a SIMPLE way to train my children to hear God! I think allot of adults who doubt they can even hear God would have greatly been helped by such a simple thought as a child.
It's a hard thing to re-educate the educated. But sometimes we need to let go, and think simply again. Maybe we'll even hear God...
I was thinking about it the other day. When those cartoons show a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other....I think they are more accurate.
So when it comes to our conscience! I think it's more a Spirit thing than we can imagine.
If Jesus calls us to come as children....then He must have made things easy to understand. The human race really loves to complicate things (Lynne had the same thoughts today)
I'm trying to simplify.
You see, I'm trying to teach Anneka to hear God. The other day I was making dinner, and she was watching TV. I realized that I couldn't hear anything. Suspicious...I said "Anneka, what are you doing?"
"Watching TV, Mommy"
"Why can't I hear it??"
*silence*
"I was trying to sneak on you." she admitted.
There are some shows (on Teletoon for example) that are just not suitable for a 4-year old. So when she flips thru the channels and sees one, she simply turns the MUTE button on so I can't hear it!
Smart child. Instead of the standard lecture, I casually came in, and sat down on the couch beside her.
"Anneka, when you are doing something that Mommy has told you NOT to do...do you ever hear a voice in your head? A voice that says "I shouldn't be watching/doing this.."?? Or do you ever feel in your heart that what you are doing is wrong?"
I went on to explain that that voice is the Holy Spirit, and He gently reminds us of the RIGHT way, when we are going down the wrong way. I told her that she should always take note of what that voice is saying...because it's a voice that unlike Mommy's...is ALWAYS with her, even when Mommy is not.
It got me thinking that this was such a SIMPLE way to train my children to hear God! I think allot of adults who doubt they can even hear God would have greatly been helped by such a simple thought as a child.
It's a hard thing to re-educate the educated. But sometimes we need to let go, and think simply again. Maybe we'll even hear God...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi there. I'm Yvonne, and I'm a wife, Mom of 2 and business chick. Welcome!



No comments:
Post a Comment