Thursday, December 18, 2008

Opa-isms

My Dad is a funny guy. He's usually quiet, and then he'll come out with the funniest quip when you least expect it! Here are some of my favorites over the years:


After I gave birth to Anneka, my Dad was holding her for the first time and said:
"Well, Yvonne...this is the best thing to ever come outta you."



When my Mom called from Ottawa to say hi:
"I love hearing your voice, no matter what it says..."



Regarding his dislike for cats and dogs:
"If there are cats and dogs in heaven, I ain't goin!"



About the importance of his grand kids:
"After I look at my grandchildren everything else seems like crap" (tv, material things etc)



His advice about marriage:
"Take it from me...aggravation is better than loneliness"



About his personality:
"A little bit of me goes a long way."



Regarding Church
"A good preacher doesn't need more than 20 minutes. A bad preacher shouldn't TAKE more than 20 minutes!!"



When Mom suggests that he doesn't need another slice of dessert:
"I can't wait till next year when I'm 77...maybe then I'll get to eat what I want"



About Creation:
“Do you realize that Adam was sleeping when God created Eve? For good reason, because God was not interested in Adam’s ideas. Cuz if I were Adam I would have suggested to God to give the woman a bigger bladder so we would not have to stop so often!"



To my Mom about aging:
"Sweetheart, I have a lot more experience in being old than you!"



When my cousin Monica said this about why she tired a trainer at the gym:
"I need a trainer who tells me what to do, who lets me complain, but who does not listen, and above all, who works me hard".

To which Opa replied: "Sounds to me like you need a husband!"




7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can see Opa saying almost all those things!! Priceless.

Trudy said...

What about this one:
"It is not easy to be Ted Decock, it takes years of practice!"

Mom

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Fantastic words, "as always" you can write so well!:)


Merry christmas wishes
from
JoAnn's D Eyes/Holland

Ted Decock said...

What I said is: After you look at my grandchildren EVERYTHING ELSE IS CRAP. I never commented on the looks of someone elses kids!! TV programs are crap, and stuff on the computer, etc.

Dad/Opa/Ted

Yvonne Parks said...

Dad

I've changed it so I'm quoting you correctly. It's still funny tho...

Lynne said...

Dad is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going get!

It's true!

Ren said...

Everybody loves Opa!