Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Flood

Not rain.
People!

It's official...

My entire family from Winnipeg is moving to Ottawa this summer!

My brother Ron was offered a job here, and accepted it! So they are in the process of selling their house. That would mean that 2 of us sibling are in Ottawa (Paul still being in North Carolina). That leaves my parents along in Winnipeg...with no kids, grand-kids, or care. It made sense to them to also make the move.

Its a weird feeling...to know that they will all be here. I was just adjusting to life away from family. Be it bad, or good...I was adjusting. Now they are all coming! It will mean a life change for me, since I will be the only person they know...and that will mean they will be dependent on me for alot. I feel the weight of that responsibility, but also the Lord's grace that He is just moving us all into a place of support in my parents' last years.

My parents are in their early and late 70's, and they'd have to look at selling their big 5 (+1) bedroom house soon enough...so this was a natural exit for them.

I took the job of looking at apartments for them here. My Mom had her heart set on a high-rise. If she was going to have to give up her garden, she wanted a nice view! Most of the apartments in their price range..no wait...ALL of the apartments in their price range were dumps. My heart would just sink when I went to look. I couldn't put my parents in a place like that. It was heart wrenching.

Then I had the idea that they'd get a nicer looking place if they rented a high-rise condo. Now, there aren't too many of those available...and many were also outdated, grungy, or just too pricey.

One day I found a listing for a place that had just been purchased by a couple, and totally renovated! New kitchen, appliances, flooring, fixtures...you name it. And the price? The same as some of the dumps I saw! I JUMPED on it! I went to see it, and almost cried at how lovely it was. And a VIEW!! Twenty-first floor...overlooking the river! It was a real fit for us (and the owner!)

The only downside is that they'll have to go a floor down to do laundry...and its 20 minutes away from us (actually, I did the drive in 17 min...but that's my driving. hehe)

So....anyone wanna buy a gorgeous house in Winnipeg?

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I am so excited for you! How wonderful to have your family coming to Ottawa!!!

Trudy said...

I am so totally exited, the Lord knew just how much I wanted a "place like that".
Thank you so much Yvonne in helping us to be able to live there, wow!

As I was mowing the lawn of our beautiful home (here in Winnipeg), I felt I was doing it for somebody else, how strange the mind works!

The yard looks absolutely gorgeous, after all the rain we had lately.

Now the Lord is going to sent the right people with the right pocket book, hahaha! I am glad Jason is looking after the sale. so I am able to concentrate on decluttering.

Mom, I love you!

Jennifer said...

This is so amazing Yvonne!! I just think back to the pain of leaving the Peg for yourself... if only to see this all happening now?!?! You never would have believed it!!
Life is amazing. God is amazing! Praise the Lord you found that place for your parents!!! Thank You Lord, that He looks after and cares about all our 'stuff'!
I'm excited for you. : )

Diane said...

Wow! Same scenario as us. We have downsized to a beautiful 4 plex in Abbotsford just one half hour away from our two girls and grandkids. Love it here. God is so loving, kind and unbelievably miraculous!