Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lists and "Yelling Mommy"


I'm generally not a fan of lists. :) I feel like they are bossy - telling me what to do! My rebellious side doesn't like being told what to do. (shocking right? haha)

But I'm finding that it works wonders for the kids. Last year I was feeling very overwhelmed by all I had to do around the house, and how little the kids were doing. (AND running my business on top of it all!) We had a family meeting about how we, as a family, are a team. And when some team members don't do their part , the other team member (me!) has to do more...and I become "Yelling Mommy". I asked the girls if they enjoy "Yelling Mommy". They answered with a firm shake of their heads "NO!!" I explained that I, in fact, 'hate' "Yelling Mommy" (the H-word is one we aren't supposed to use in our house...so the point was made!) I went on to say that I don't like that "Mommy" at all. I wished she would go away and never come back. In fact, I feel a great amount of shame when that particular Mommy is in charge. I wish "Fun Mommy" could be the only Mommy we saw. (The girls agreed!) I explained that "Yelling Mommy" comes out when I feel sad, frustrated, overwhelmed, and like I'm all alone and no one is helping our team!

The talk seemed to work. They 'got' it. I was open and honest about my own weakness and level of frustration. And they agreed that 'team work' was something we needed to improve on. But HOW could we get the kids to remember what their responsibilities were each day...and do them!?

Ugh...it appeared LISTS were going to be the answer!! *sigh*

Last year I printed out some simple cards and posted them on the walls in key places in our house. Just a little 'check list' of what the girls need to do each day. Here are some examples:

By the front door:
  • hang up coats/backpacks
  • shoes in closet
 Here are some more!
In the breakfast area where the girls eat in the morning

In their bedrooms. This is the list they must do before coming down for breakfast before school
Self explanatory!! haha...but it works!

 As soon as school started, I was worried that we'd have to have a 'meeting' and re-introduce the concept of these lists...because in the summer, the rules had relaxed A LOT! But nope....without me even having to mention it, their beds are made before they come down for breakfast! Mind you, Anneka's idea of what constitutes a "made bed" falls a little short of my expectations...with the comforter sometimes on lopsided etc. (but hey...I won't comment...because she's doing it!)

Anyway, I never thought I'd say this...but "Hurray for lists!"
And I'm doing my best to keep "Yelling Mommy" at bay. :)

1 comment:

Trudy said...

I love the way Anneka added "breakfast" on her to-do list in her bedroom, hahaha!