Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Tonight I put my little girls to bed. Anneka was all cuddled in her bed, surrounded by stuffed animals. She decided to tell ME a bed-time story as I tucked her in! It was all about her going up up up to the moon.....sleeping there.....and flying down in the morning back to 'her house'. It was whimsical and innocent. So sweet.

Then tonight I came upstairs and found an email from our friend Vance! Vance is stationed in Afghanistan for 6 months. He sent us this photograph...and I began to sob as I stared at it.



First....those beautiful eyes! All of those kids are gorgeous! But their clothes are tattered, and their shoes are way too old (probebly don't even fit).

And what really got to me....was that in the upper right hand corner....you see that this photo was taken atop a tank.



It made me angry that these little kids have to live with tanks rolling by. That they don't cuddle in beds full of stuffed animals, and tell whimsical stories of going to the moon. Instead, their reality is war and hunger. Death and poverty.

Now I've stopped crying and I'm angry. And I need to do something.

I've emailed Vance and asked if it's possible to send a huge package to Kabul. I want to fill a box with treats, crayons, art supplies, toys, cars, dolls....you name it! If the government there will allow packages etc....It may be difficult to do.

But I'm going to find a way. And I'm going to ask people to bring stuff for these little ones. I'm thinking little Dollar Store items...so that we can put alot of things in a small amount of space.

And then Vance can roll his tank into the streets again, and hand out gifts to these little kids! From people across the world who love them! Wouldn't that be a BLAST????!!!!!

Who knows if it's possible....but I am going to try to find a way.

No comments: