Saturday, April 3, 2004

Poor Big Eyes. I don't expect he'll live another week if I don't do something.

It's Dorothy (our lovely HUGE fantailed goldfish). I don't think she's taking to this new addition very well. I suppose she's had her own bowl for an entire year...and just isn't ready to have a room-mate.

Big Eyes is 1/4 of her size, and looks like an emaciated minnow beside her. She is also very mean to him. When I feed them....she literally pushes him aside, and eats all the food! I've yet to see Big Eyes get a morsel.


In fact....he doesn't even try anymore. He just floats there apathetically near the centre of the bowl. Looking around with those eyes. If he were able to make noise, I'd expect all we'd hear was deep slow sighs coming from him. I think he's depressed. Don't get me wrong...I'm no fish scientist. No aquatic psychologist. But it doesn't take a genius to see that there is something wrong with Big Eyes.

And Dorothy certainly has some 'issues' of her own. If you get close and stare into the bowl...she comes over and energetically struts her stuff for you. but if you move to the other side of the bowl where Big Eyes is floating silently....Dorothy darts over, slaps B.E out of the way, and continues her strutting.

So I think drastic measures are needed. I'm going to have to separate the fish. I'm no huge fan of B.E by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not into fish abuse.

I think Dorothy may have some emotional problems, that left unchecked could morph into some kind of psychosis. In short, I'm afraid Dorothy might be the "Marlena Evans" of the fish world. (You day-time watchers will get that one! *wink*)

Oh the drama. Who says being a stay-at-home-Mom isn't enthralling???

No comments: