Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy New Year

Well...almost.

For as long as I can remember, September 1st has always been more of a New Year than January 1st. School starts and routine begins again. I really like this time of year. Of course, I'm not too happy to see that the tree in our backyard has already begun to change it's colors. That seems just too soon. But on the up-side...Ottawa has a really long Autumn season, so we'll be able to enjoy that as well.

So the new year means back to routine. And for me, that means counting points (the weight watchers style) and no unhealthy food in my house. Jason is joining me as well...which is always so helpful.

This last year I had some issues with my running. I hurt my ankle in January, and then again worse in June. (I was carrying Jason's birthday cake in the rain...in heels..and slipped off a curb into some mud. I went down into the mud like a sack of potatoes, cutting my knee open, and watching the cake fly across the pavement. All I remember, is thinking "as long as the cake stays on the tray...it doesn't matter how toppled it is...we can still EAT it!!" Did I mention I was carrying the cake on my head? Yeah...in retrospect I would have preferred wet hair to a twisted ankle) Then I forgot to bring my runners to Winnipeg for the summer, so there went another month. I was totally afraid that I'd have to start all over again. From scratch as a beginner. "walk 4 minutes, run 4 minutes...repeat..."

I had considered dumping the running thing, and just walking....because after 2 years of running, I still hate it. I don't get the 'happy-runner' feeling that other people get. It's a dicipline and never a joy. So I thought..."Why keep doing this? You LIKE walking! Why not just do that!!" After all, aerobic exercise is aerobic exercise. Doesn't matter what you do..just move. However, after I stopped running, i noticed a definite change in my body. Everything just fell. "Shloop!" What was tight became un-tight. It appears that running had toned me in ways I never expected. I mean...I had ab muscles! It trimmed my legs, butt, even my back. I'd lost 55 pounds without having to deal with any jiggle. Jiggle-free weight loss. How wonderful! Now i see that it was due to the running. Walking alone wasn't able to do that.

So this weekend I began my "new year" with a run. Well, what I was hoping would be a run. After 2 minutes I was ready to die, but I pushed through and was able to get to 9 or 10 minutes. Then I was done. I did a fast-paced walk for the next 10 minutes. The following evening, I was able to run the entire 20 minutes, and then walk an additional 10. Talk about body-memory! It was like I'd never stopped. (BTW...my goal is always 30 min of cardio, 20 of that running)

So the point? Well...accountability for one. If I blog about it, everyone knows...and therefore I'm more prone to stick with it out of fear of sheer public humiliation. It's twisted..but it works!! : P The other reason I'm blogging about it? To hopefully inspire someone to join me in my New Year's Healthy Lifestyle Mission. Remember...this is the non-out-doorsy-girl who failed gym. Twice. If I can do it, then anyone can. I'm also very social...and I'd rather know that I'm not alone in this. Group support is pivotal.

So, any takers?

6 comments:

Ren said...

I admire your determination and openness. You're an inspiration.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Yvonne,You inspire me :)I you write 'why' in an email. HUG from JoAnn

Karla said...

You go girl! I've been "running" for the past 2 1/2 years and have never run a race for fear of failing.... but I'm going for broke and entering a 10K in mid-September just to prove to myself that I can do it.

Amanda said...

Hi Yvonne. I've been lurking for a long time. I met you many years ago - I was a friend of Sean Hogan. Anyways, I love reading about your weightloss and running. I've lost 56 pounds since Jan 31 so I can identify with a lot that you say. I often think of Sept as the new year because I'm a teacher. I've been on mat leave for the past 16 months, but going back in Sept, so I'm sure my running is going to fly out the window unless I really try to do it. There's always so much that needs to get done!

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi and encourage you to keep posting. I love reading about your lifestyle changes!

Vikki said...

*groan* I have gained so much weight over the summer. I'm in. I need to be motivated. Harass me, poke me, slap me, please please please!

Yvonne Parks said...

Vikki....tell me about it! I gained 13 pounds this summer!

A 'group' is in the works to meet at my place twice a month. I'll keep you posted.