Saturday, November 8, 2008

Curiosity

I love that word. I think it's the key to success in a lot of areas of life. Just simply being curious.

I've always said that you don't need to be smart to learn your way around your computer, or a program. You just need to be curious! Yes, it's true that taking a class is the shortest way to learn, but you can learn just by clicking and adventuring your way through a program. The undo button is a great gift. If you are simply curious, you'll be amazed at what you can learn.

Just this week I had to learn how to do something new in a program I had little knowledge about. What should have taken 1 hour, took me 5 hours. Hit and miss. Click. Oops. Click. Oops. I tried 2 or 3 ways to do something before I figured out the proper way to do it. Now it took time, but it wasn't my IQ that led me to find the answer. It was simple curiosity.

I think that curiosity is also the number one tool in friendship, and especially new friendship.
  • Am I curious about you?
  • Are you curious about me?
  • Do we really want to know WHO each other is?
  • Why are we the way we are?
  • What experiences have shaped who we are?
Asking questions, and being curious about people is how you get to know them. I'm still learning how to be that kind of person, but I want to try to remember to ask questions that let me have insight about what makes people tick. Their Hobbies, their past experiences, family life, etc. I also quickly follow my question with saying "...if you are comfortable talking about that...if not...that's okay" Every single time, people quickly say
"Oh, I don't mind talking about that at all!" If I've learned one thing, it's this: People want to talk....because they want to be known.

Jason and I are amazed at how often we meet new people, and they really don't ask any questions about us. Is it that they don't care? Aren't curious? Not desiring to go too deep in relationship? Are they afraid? Don't want to pry? Hmm... I don't know.....

I once met this amazing woman who always made it a point to look everyone in the eye. At the grocery store....looking the clerk in the eye and saying "Are you having a good day?" and meaning the question. She wouldn't say "How are you?" She'd ask a specific question. If the person was not having a good day, and said "I've had better." or "It's a hard day actually", she'd say something small and encouraging before going on her way. Her desire was to have a meaningful connection with people. No matter how short the moment was. "Just be curious!" she'd say.

So many people walk thu life with little or no connection with others. We don't take 30 seconds to look someone in the eye and smile. When we do that, it says "You matter." When we ask questions about people it says "I care to really know you."

So go on, and be curious!

2 comments:

April Ellis said...

I love to really get to know people and I'm a very open person but I am always conscious of being too nosy or intrusive but I guess people can always say if they don't want to answer. X

Anonymous said...

Sixty five years is a long time to come to the understanding of "pets". I had hunting dogs when I was quite young but they were not "pets". Now, at 65 I have a "pet" in my life and I like it. This furry little creature is cute, funny, interesting, and poops all over my lawn. Through even that I really enjoy having her around. Now for the thing that might get me into trouble with some folks. This little bundle of fur is a dog, just a dog. When the rubber meets the road this dear little animal is still held in a place lower than "the least of them". People, good bad or indiferent, children, teenagers, young adults, middle age wrecks, and mellow "mature" folks all have a more important position in my heart than my "pet". So what does this have to do with the subject of this post??
OK, here goes. If a person cares at all about a pet, (particularly a dog), it is imperative that the doggy gets some excercise like going for walks, jaunts until Potty time arives. Then there is the clean up, (mandatory in every case except in the wilds somewhere)..On these forays down streets and lanes the "walk" almost always means the encountering other people out walking their pets as well. I've learned a strange thing about our daily interaction with folks we don't know through these meetings.
Almost "ALL" of us who are owned by a pet seem to have no interest in who, what, or why the other exists. We want to know the name of the other dog, his age, it's gender, and we will fuss over the friendly ones and simply ignore the ones who "our" animal makes clear she doesn't want to be around. These meetings can happen a number of times during a lengthy walk, but the interaction is still the same. I've been trying to understand why this is what it is.
and I still can't come up with an explanation that gives a reason to ignore another human being when there is another person in the picture.. We isolate ourselves through petting or being playful with the animal and ignoring it's companion... I Love your bit about the lady who would always try to find some way to connect with almost anyone she comes in contact with.. I "AM" going to try and look at these things the way she does and see if it makes a difference.. Thanks so much for poking my heart.. Dennis, (Zoe's alpha)..