Thursday, November 6, 2008

Turkey Chili

This is my favourite recipe. It's a chili made with turkey, and tonnes of beans and lentils. The fibre content is off-the-charts, and it's virtually fat-free. It tastes even better as left-overs the next day after sitting in the fridge overnight, letting the flavours meld.


- 1 pkg lean ground turkey
- 1 med onion (diced)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 large can Beans in Tomato sauce
- 1 sm can kidney beans (if desired)
- ½ can chick peas
- ½ can lentils
- 1 cup corn
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2-3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2-3 tablespoons white sugar
(use equal amount of chili pwdr and sugar)

(this recipe will use your largest soup-pot)
  1. Fry up ground turkey with the diced onion. (Salt if desired). I just fry it right in the pot , since there is no grease to drain. If turkey is a bit too dry to fry, add a little water NOT OIL.
  2. Add the rest of ingredients to the ground turkey/onion mixture in the pot, and let simmer for a couple hours. If you are in a hurry, it can be eaten in about 20 minutes of good boiling, but I recommend cooking it as long as you can.

NOTES:
- I usually mash the diced tomatoes a bit (using a hand blender) because I don't like big chunks of tomato in my chili. But that's optional.
- Don't skip the white sugar, and don't substitute Splenda. The combination of the sugar and the chili powder is what makes good chili, and the sugar works to caramelize the chili.
- Put the left-over lentils and chickpeas in baggies, and pop them in your freezer. Pull them out the next time you make chili!
- You can also use it in the crock pot. Just pre-fry your meat/onion, and put it with the rest of the ingredients into the Crockpot. 2-3 hours on high, or 5-6 hours on low.

Garnish with a heaping tablespoon of light sour cream, and enjoy!

*I like eating this with BAKED TOSTITO SCOOPS in lieu of a spoon!*

5 comments:

Vikki said...

HOOOORAY!!!!!! add it to Mr. Linky on my post today !!

Vikki said...

i added your post to my Mr. Linky myself :P i really wanted to see if it would work!

Yvonne Parks said...

What is Mr Linky? I have no idea what that is...

Vikki said...

look at my blog...it would be more fun if I had more readers :)

Jennifer said...

You sound like me, I love those recipes that put lots of good stuff in your body.