Thursday, November 27, 2008

Education

People around here really value education. Like, university education. In Winnipeg, only a handful of my friends had degrees. Here, its shocking to people that you are possibly working without a degree. When I say that I'm a graphic artist in publishing and marketing, they say "Oh...I assume you have your masters then?"
"Um...no?"
I've learned that saying "What's a masters?" isn't funny to people who value education.

I think I value simple ingenuity more than education. It's not that I don't value education at all...don't get me wrong. It's just that I never needed to go to university to achieve my career goals. In fact, my lack of "proper education" is what's made me successful in my line of work, especially in advertising. I never learned "the way" to do things. I've never had to force myself to think outside of the box...because i never learned what the box was! When it came to a national ad campaign last year, they thought I was brilliant. When really...I was just really clueless about the 'rules'. They mistook ignorance for brilliance. Hmm...i guess is really IS a fine line!

It's led me to quote this (in jest) alot:

"Some people are born with it...the rest go to University to learn it"

It's a joke. Don't be offended, all you "university-ers". What I mean is that in my case, I learned what I need to learn by being self-taught...or just 'feeling' my way through a project. However, if you don't easily learn that way, then heck...go take a course!

Us "uneducated" folks usually feel quite stupid in a room of people with degrees. There's a stigma to it, not to mention that those educated types love to talk with big words about deep things. (We non-educated types can talk about those things too...but with smaller words. hehe)

So my "born with it" humorous quote is to compensate so that I don't feel so bad about my lack of 'higher education degree'.

Mind you, what I don't feel so bad about is my lack of 'student loan debt'....so there IS a plus-side!

7 comments:

Brian said...

Rise above it, sister! University is NOT what your snooty friends make it out to be. It can tend to be more expensive than useful, honestly. I have lots of post-secondary education. There is a whole lot more to life than what I learned in a classroom 20 years ago...seriously.

Yvonne Parks said...

Brian..

Coming from one of the smartest dudes I know...that means ALOT!!!!

Jennifer said...

I really loved going to college. But I think I am not a creative-type so to have some college experience was a benefit to me. If I had your creativity, I think college would be a detriment. A lot of multi-millionares don't have college education they just have the ability to be successful on their own; I really feel that you have a gift.

One of Freedom said...

Hey Yvonne. When I started my pastoral career I hadn't even finished high school. I went on to build a decent IT career with some community college. I wasn't "educated" and can relate to feeling intimidated. When I did finally find myself in a university setting I discovered different ways of going about the same things. But I also discovered a place where I could work on some questions that had become important to me after many years of working and pastoring. I tend to have a lot more respect for adult learners who aren't just going to school because it is the thing you do. I also find those folks (the doing what is expected crowd) have to defend more their investment. Because of this there can be a lot of elitism in education - but frankly I find that in a lot of subcultures including the evangelical culture we both appreciate.

The odd thing is that universities function in one specific way. And if that way works for you then you can get a lot out of it. But if it doesn't then it is a lot of money to spend to find that out. I'm always encouraging towards folks wanting to take courses because I've found it so life-giving. But I'm also convinced that if you can't translate that stuff to the real world (without making other folks feel worthless) then what is the point. University is one way to follow your passions - to be sure it is no more or less valid than any other. Especially when it is what God leads you into.

Yvonne Parks said...

Frank...

Well said!!!!

Jennifer said...

firstly- I have to say how funny the ad is on the side for "meet muslin ladies" oooo... cha cha... lol
Then on topic:
I went to UofT and I felt like a hick there. Still do... wasn't pretentious enough. But I now have a very different view of uni. Unless you are learning a specific thing you have to be shown how to do (which is most often trades stuff!, like welding) ... I'm struggling to find the purpose. ESP with the debt attached. In the arts, with the availability of information, why? I know for myself, I could have read a handful of history books (not that many actually) and done a teach-yourself-Irish tape series and saved myself $40,000. I really would have no more knowledge. the experience, adn the people I met, learned from about life etc. that is different... but as far as academia... I kinda wasted mad amounts of money.

Colleen said...

Yvonne, I am not too sure where to go with my comment.

I returned to school the last 11 years and take a number of courses in the evenings every year.

I never considered myself so much as an educated person, but I guess I don't fall under the "uneducated" folks category as well.

I too usually feel quite stupid in a room of people with degrees, and I can not fall under the 'born with it" category either. So when I sit in a room of "born with it" people I feel the same stupidity as I do with the ones with degrees.

For me, the education gets me by, helps provide for my family.

I am proud and in awe of your "born with it" talents, that you have in abundance. And I agree any course would spoil your raw talents and would push you to conform to society to do things the way everyone else does.