Thursday, March 12, 2009

Makes me think

You can tell more about a person by what she says about others than you can by what others say about her.

That's something to strive for....so I really like this statement. (even tho I mostly suck at it!) I want to be someone who has control of her tongue, and chooses carefully what I say about others. Even when others hurt or offend me! I learned from a very smart mentor that looking past behavior to the heart is the key to loving people, and seeing the truth.

We all do things that are dumb. We all mess up...we all trip. (Sometimes taking others with us) But to look at the heart...will save a lot of pain. So no matter how difficult a relationship is, can I see past that, and keep my speech about them more positive than negative? It's not wrong to admit someone has a character flaw that affects your life...but can you see past that flaw to their heart? Most often...the heart is really pure....it's only their actions that are faulty. What you do does not always determine who you are. And it takes wisdom to look into people to see the true 'them'. Once we do that...we'll notice that how we talk about them changes. How we talk about everyone changes.

The Gossip Rule:
Would you say it to the person's face? If not...don't say it behind their back.


1 comment:

Lynne said...

Very good insight. I hope it gives you strategy and comfort. It sounds like you are going through some kind of rough patch. Luckily you should be refreshed when you go to KC. Have an awesome time. (I know I don't need to say that because I know you will.):)