Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Missing Trees

Last night, I invited a couple friends out for dinner. It's kinda my "Ottawa version" of our Winnipeg "Girls at Earls".

I sent out invites, with the following 'assignment'

We want to get to know each other!

If you could think of one word or one symbol that tells us who you are...in a simple way...what would it be? Perhaps it represents where you have been, or what you love, or what your dreams are. There are no wrong answers! Please bring a little 'something' that represents who you are at this stage of your life. We'll then have a time of sharing our item, and why we chose it.

One of the girls brought a slightly wilted piece of a tree branch. She explained that they had had this one large lovely tree in their yard, and for some reason, it had to be cut down. She is a real lover of the outdoors, and used to love hearing the wind in the tree, and watch the branches sway. She explained that she felt silly, but that she was really grieving the loss of that tree. Her yard is now bare and open...and she has felt this tinge of sadness all week.

I couldn't help thinking that we all have "trees" in our lives that we can wake up and find 'gone'. And others may not think them super significant, they were things of joy for us...and we have to deal with that open space where there once was shade and enjoyment. I think I have a few missing trees myself...and I can't help but fear that it will take 10 years until a 'new tree' is as lovely and fruitful as the old one was.

For her, it was a simple...and even silly thing she had thrown in her purse as a last minute 'item' to share with us. But I couldn't help thinking how profound it really was...and wondered how many other missing trees there are in her life, and in the lives of the other women at the table.

It was a good night of sharing, and I left the restaurant feeling that my heart was full!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Yvonne, what a good post, and such a good idea to get something you love growing where you are now planted so to speak. You will forgive me for sounding 'corny' but you yourself are 'like a tree, planted by Living Streams' bringing refreshing to those you encounter along the way.( You may now roll your eyes :)