Thursday, May 7, 2009

Product Rave

I'm a fan of pre-portioned food. Puddings, popsicles, 100 calorie snack packs, you name it. Love it.

I'm also a pasta nut. However, on Weight Watchers, pasta is rather high in points, and my motto is "if I can't eat alot of it, why eat it at all". I'm not interested in 1/4 cup of pasta. C'mon now, that's just crazy talk.

However, I've found that frozen pasta entrees are working great for me, with a small addition. For example, "Smart Ones" (the weight watcher brand) has a ton of great frozen options. I love their Creamy Rigatoni w/Chicken & Broccoli. You actually get a couple decent sized pieces of grilled chicken (not a sliver of canned chicken crap) However, since the servings can be a little on the small size, I simply steam some California Mix Veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and mix it with the entree. Those veggies are zero points, so you can double the amount of food on your plate, and still have 6 points.

PC's Blue Menu has many choices too. Just read the box for nutritional info.

Now, I do have an issue with paying $3.00 for 1 frozen entree. Sometimes they go on sale, but still...it's alot of money! Happily, I have a solution. NoName has their own brand of entrees. (Look for the plain yellow box) They are also around the same point value as the weight watcher ones, but for only $.99! There's an Alfredo Lasagna noodle with Broccoli (add more veggies, stir, and this is a nice big lunch!) or the Mac and Cheese (again, add veggies and stir) or the beef lasagna one. (I believe that one is only 4 or 5 points), or Rigatoni with chicken. (keep in mind, you are paying less, so the chicken isn't very substancial in these!)

Walmart also has virtually the same options, for around $.88 cents per pkg

Want lower points? Smart Ones has a lot of 3 or 4 point options!

3 points: Shrimp Marinara - Linguini in a zesty marinara sauce with tender bay shrimp and mushrooms (and add a pile veggies!)
4 points: Slow Roasted Turkey Breast - Served with classic pan gravy & garlic-herb mashed potatoes. (add your own veggies, as they don't come with...but the mashed potatos and gravy is SO good!)
5 points: Chicken Parmesan - Roasted chicken breast and spaghetti with marinara sauce topped with cheese (add some veggies!)

No comments: