Monday, July 20, 2009

Having a Blast

On Saturday, Aila went to a birthday party for a girl from her class at school. It was at a place called Midway, that has amazing kid games and activities. (a train, bumper boats, inflatable slide, climbing wall etc) When Jason dropped her off and turned to leave, Aila began panicking, and crying. We're not sure why...but at some places she's fine when we leave her, and other places she becomes unhinged. Jason figured that with Oma having just left (Aila always takes that very very hard) and the idea that we leave on our trip on Monday...Aila was just feeling a little less secure than usual, and wanted him close. So Jason stayed at the party. (He actually had a great time chatting with the little girl's father, whom we had never met)

Aila instructed Jason to stand behind her chair while she did her activity, and ate her cake. Every couple minutes, she would reach back with her hand, just to make sure he was there. He never left. (He's a good Daddy!)

On the ride home:

Jason: Did you have a fun time, Aila??
Aila: Oh yes!! I had a BLAST!!
Jason: That's great!
Aila: *silent for a moment* Daddy...
Jason: Yes Aila?
Aila: Whats a "blast"?
Jason: *laughing* It means you had 'the best time ever'!
Aila: Oh...well then...I had a 'little blast'.

Later at supper, we mentioned that we will be going camping for a week when we return from Holland. (Jason thought some good family time would be great after being away from them for 10 days!)

Aila began to cry. She did NOT want to go camping. (Well...I can't blame her...I'm no camping fan either! haha) She began to wail that she didn't want to leave "our beautiful house for a whole week", on and on she went....refusing to go....and determined to stay in our 'beautiful home' instead.

It dawned on me that perhaps she wasn't understanding. I asked her if she knew what "a week" was....how many sleeps etc. "About 100??" she sobbed.

"No no Aila...it's only 7 sleeps!!!" I reassured her.
She sniffled and began to calm down a bit.

Then I explained what camping was. (since we've never gone)
"You like staying at a hotel, right?"
Aila nodded enthusiastically
"Well, camping is like going to a hotel...but...err...everyting is outside!"

I explained that there is a beach, a lake, sand, games, boats, a place to have meals, a cabin to sleep in, and that when you have to go pee at night, we need to walk outside in the dark with a flashlight to the bathroom.

Her eyes lit up.

Now THAT sounds like a blast....

5 comments:

Vikki said...

COOL!!!!! Where are you going camping? I wish we could go too :(

Jennifer said...

a 'little blast' OH my goodness that was HILARIOUS! I laughed and laughed til I nearly snorted out my tea.
kids are so the best.
but WOW they have n o concept of time.

I hope and am fairly certain you are having a fantastic time!!! SO happy for you guys!!! Will pray for 'journey mercies'!!
I bet you will see dreams come true.

Bless you guys,
Jenni

Yvonne Parks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sawatzky family said...

Hello there :)
Just wanted to say Hi and that the one and only Rhonda sent me her to meet her "very best bud in the whole world!" And I can absolutly see how true that is in reading your posts...some very Rhonda like things in here lol!
I have just recently found Rhonda and am on a mission to get myself the title of her "second very best bud in the whole world!" Hehehehehee...
Great blog and very sweet girls you have :)
Michelle

Jennifer said...

That does sound like a blast!! I love to go camping.