Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Anti-Homework

Tonight we had a parent-teacher evening at the school. We get to see the kids' classrooms, and meet their new teachers...to hear about the curriculum this year.

I was THRILLED to hear that many of the teachers are going towards a "no homework" philosophy! The only thing they are required to do at home is some reading (which my kids happily do anyway)

I am so thankful for this. I personally had a HUGE problem with the whole concept of homework. Kids are working all day, and then are forced into 20 min to 60 min of homework a night??? Ridiculous! If we did that with our jobs, we'd be called a work-a-holic! Kids need down time, family time, play time! I'm happy that these teachers agree with that too!

When Anneka was in grade 2, there were nights where Anneka was crying over pages of homework that she either didn't understand, or that was just simply overwhelming for her. Thankfully, it was never more than 10 or 20 minutes, but that was hard enough! It broke my heart to see my child exhausted and stressed out at the age of 7!! Horrible! We got through the year, but I was feeling that the homework was bordering on 'just too much'.

There are some books out now that are showing that the excessive homework kids are getting is actually hurting our kids, and hindering (not helping) their ability to learn. (Here is one such article)

I hear stories from friends about their little kids having over an hour of homework a night! Kids crying, fighting, overwhelmed and stressed out as they are forced to complete work at the kitchen table, when their brains are just pooped! I always said that I would pull my kids OUT of school and home-school them before I allowed something so unnecessary to happen to my child. So tonight I braced myself...not knowing what I would hear.

Last year, the teacher had a brilliant way of giving homework. They had a duotang that went home each week, and you had all week to complete it. That worked great for us...3-4 pages...7 days...much less stress. But I had no idea what to expect with this new teacher. Imagine my surprise and glee when she said "There will be no homework". She explained how many of the teachers are seeing that kids are better rested, calmer, able to receive and retain new concepts, when there is no homework regiment. I had to hold back from jumping up and hugging her. Instead I spent some time telling her how amazing I thought this was, and she looked genuinely relieved! (Since this is a new philosophy in the school, they weren't sure how parents would react!)

It's really a compliment to a teacher's teaching abilities...that they are organized enough to get all the needed work done in class, so that the children don't need to do it at home. There will be the odd project that will be sent home, but this will be the exception...and not the rule.

When we moved here, were weren't sure what to expect from the Ottawa Catholic School Board. But we heard wonderful things about the Catholic schools, and are sooo thankful that our girls have the opportunity to attend such a school. (and equally thankful that Jason happened to be baptized catholic as a baby, which allowed our girls to 'qualify' to attend the school!)

There is constant reinforcement of faith...they talk about Jesus, his love for them, his work on the cross, forgiveness, loving others etc. There are Christian posters everywhere...they sing songs about Him, hear stories, do plays, pray etc. It's a free "Christian Education" that we would have loved to have had in Winnipeg, but would have never been able to afford. Awesome!

You may wonder how much of the Catholic flavour there is...and really...not much! They do have a mass every couple months, in which they do communion. But since my girls are not catholic, they simply walk up and cross their arms...and receive a blessing from the priest. There are many many other evangelical families that attend the school also, and the sense of community and friendship in the school is just so excellent.

Anyway...no homework! Yay!

4 comments:

Trudy said...

Homework is also stress on the parents after a full day at their own jobs.
I don't remember you getting much homework?
Anyways I am glad that they have changed that for Anneka.

Oma

Vikki said...

I so totally agree with that!!! Jordan doesnt get too much homework. He can finish most of his work in class.

Is there a way to subscribe to your blog by email? Jon would like to get an email when you put up a new post...

One of Freedom said...

We just pulled Elyssa from french immersion because it is very homework intensive. Where she is going (back to) should be a lot lighter in terms of homework and if she decides to coast at least she won't have a language gap to complain. My buddy Mari actually told her school not to send any homework home with her son as he will not be doing it - she's gutsy.

Anonymous said...

I am a kid and tonight my math teacher assigned 70 problums i have to memerise a poem for latin and complete a project for social studies did i mention i have a math test on friday!