Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Whine

I'm such a whiner!!

Kay...so now I have more work due to the new client I received last week...and a couple more things that came my way in the last few days. More work means more issues. (Added to the stuff I'm already dealing with with current clients) It seems that everyone has an opinion! Go figure!! People's opinions really interfere with my ability to do my job at times. I want to do the best...to make each job perfect, and something I'm proud of! Something marketable! Something that leads clients to success! But when people want things that just don't look good...and don't trust your professional opinion...what do you do? You give the client what they want, (reluctantly) and leave their project OUT of your portfolio.

Sometimes these little opinions of theirs cause real issues...because at times they want things I simply can't give them. My work friend Doug likes to tell me that I know how to "turn Sh*t into gold". I can make the best of the worst situation, but there are times when I simply can't make something nice out of something crappy. (I'm not a genie, folks!)

When there are little issues to sort out, I get stressed. When I get stressed, I get testy. Snippy. (Which means I snap at my girls and my husband, when I really don't mean to) And I whine about how much I have to do.

WELL genius...who's idea was it to take more work?
MINE!
I sent out the resume...looking for more to do.
ME

I'm not sure how to 'learn' how to deal with stress more effectively. I feel it like a knot in my stomach, and the only way to make it go away (Besides eating icecream..*eyes darting side to side*) is to plow through, and deal with each little thing as it comes. But that doesn't stop the complaining that spews forth while I'm working through things.

And then I hear Renee's sweet voice saying:
"Suck it up, Princess!"

Honestly, the concept of just "Sucking it up" changed my life a couple years ago. I remember the day I was whining about something, and Ren simply looked at me, rolled her eyes...and said those words (quite seriously, not in a joking way) "Suck it up, princess!!"

After the shock of someone saying something like that to me....I decided to not be offended.
She was right.

What was she really saying to me in that moment?? She meant this:
"Look...stop whining. There are MUCH worse things in this life that you could be dealing with. Time to grow up. Time to stop 'majoring in the minors'. If it's hard...suck it up and figure out how to do it. If it's scarey, suck it up and take a chance. You won't die. You may just learn something. And for heaven's sake....be thankful! There are so so so many little things that we fret about. They simply aren't worth giving our energy too. Stop whining about things you don't want to do, can't do, won't try or don't like. Time to grow up "


So this too, I will "Suck Up", and be thankful that I have this career that I love, and am earning a living at! And I'll pray that God teaches me how to not become overwhelmed with the things I need to do, and the problems I'm faced with.

There.
Done.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Gotta love Renee....I can almost hear her voice...You are brilliant Yvonne and it's like God tuning His guitar string by string, stretching, stretching, stretching until He gets the perfect sound. You are getting 'tweaked'....and the new sound will be wonderful.

Trudy said...

You got to be retired in order to appreciate what you are saying Yvonne, because when you are retired,you see, "alles mag en niks moet" , which translates, "you may do anything you want but you don't have to".

I find, even after a year, still unbelievable to be out of the stress of working. Every morning when I wake up (no alarm clock) I ask my self: "What day is it today?"
Dad and I will say to each other: "What shall we do to day?" So we make plans, only to cancel them later on, because we'd decided to stay home. Because like I said: "Alles mag en niks moet!"

One more thing, don't be jealous, I have paid my dues, hahaha!

Love you sweet and remember, we need at least one wealthy person in our family!

So.....Suck it up princess!