Thursday, April 29, 2010

Good Things

This has been a really good week.

Gosh...I wish I could talk more about my job! So much excitement! I have a couple very large new clients, and a possible lead that could mean some more steady work. That's all I can say. Darn!

I wake up every morning excited to work. Its been 5 years, and it hasn't diminished a bit! How amazing is that?? The reason this brings me so much joy, is that I remember when I taught music...how I'd wake up on days I had to teach...with a knot in my stomach. I dreaded it. I really disliked it. Now, I think I was good at it...but it didn't bring me joy. I didn't feel creative...I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything in my day. It was all routine...always the same...and every Sunday night I knew that the next day I'd have to start again...and it physically made my stomach hurt.

It's because I've known that feeling that I can enjoy THIS feeling. Now...it doesn't mean I don't sometimes feel stress. I do! I actually get over-stressed quite easily...which is a good reason to be your own boss. I can take or not take as many clients as I wish....however, I think it's good to deal with the tough clients (instead of firing them!) because it develops good character. It's something that self-employed people easily skirt....not dealing with tough situations. As our own boss, we have the ability to simply leave the situation, and move on. But Jason has really taught me to stick it out, and learn to healthily manage stress. So some days are tough....you don't always make everyone happy. But I still love the work! (now...if I could do the work, without having to deal with the cranky PEOPLE....heh heh)

I've been asked to teach a design workshop in Los Angeles in July! Its very exciting, and at the same time makes my stomach flip with nerves. I know how to teach....i spent 12 years teaching complicated music theory to kids. To do that, you need to know how to break down concepts. So that's not what I worry about. What I worry about is WHAT to teach! I mean....I'm not trained in design. Never took a class, don't have a degree. I just 'feel' it. I feel what looks right, and feel what looks wrong. How on earth do you teach that?? Hmmm. I'll have to figure this out!

Anyway....good week. Love my job. Thanks Jesus!

Y

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Glad to hear about all of this! You definitely have an extraordinary life.

Vikki said...

SO FANTASTICAL!!!!!!!!!