Monday, August 30, 2010

Updates

Hello in here?
*eyes darting side to side*

I doubt anyone is still here, as I've been so neglectful with updating my blog. Darn Facebook. Those simple one-liner status updates have made us bloggers soooo lazy!

So where was I last time...

Oh yes. The invasion.

The invasion is complete. My parents moved here earlier this month, and are happy as they can be in their new place. My Mom is exploring the city, different stores, malls...and dragging a scooter-bound Ted along with her. Happy as clams, they are! They are acclimating in a way that I never thought possible. I am so very impressed! It's really something...they grow up so fast! So independent...hardly needing me anymore! (haha)

Jason's brother and his awesome wife moved here also...arriving last week. Nice house, cute couple, good BBQ skillz.

Ron and Lynne should be pulling into Ottawa with their herd of children anytime now. They're at a hotel downtown until their moving truck arrives. Hopefully it will take its time getting here, so they have some time to relax!

So there it is. I went from zero family to 9 family members in less than 3 weeks. Wowzers! Did I mention that my MIL (mother-in-law) is getting married in October, and moving to BC? Yup! Huge changes all-around!

Work is still growing, and I love love LOVE it! Business has gone up by 55% this year, for the second year in a row! God has been so good...so faithful! I'm in awe of His love for us...

I was just telling my MIL how when I was little, I used to carry a little black-patent briefcase that held my various 'fashion' drawings. I would design dresses and outfits, and then sign them with my imaginary "company name" The name? "Compute Designs"

Now, you must realize that back then, a computer was a lame machine that allowed you to play "Pong", or make simple pixelated programs. I remember someone telling me that it was impossible to design clothes on a computer....and I could see from the "pong" game on the screen that they were right...but I just had this thought that someday I would be able to do that. Design on a computer.

I never dreamt that it would be books, logos, marketing materials and company branding I would be designing. In fact, I didn't even know those things existed. (All I knew was clothing!) But I think that little dream I had as an eight-year-old was pretty prophetic. Somewhere in my head, I knew even then, that this would be something I'd love.

I went to Los Angeles in July to teach a 'book cover design' workshop! It was alot of fun, and they invited me to teach the workshop again in October, this time in San Diego! So exciting! Its my dream job....design, travel, and actual PEOPLE! (working from home, I never get to actually work with real live people. To meet new colleagues to talk 'shop' with, if just for a couple days...was so much fun!)

Jason won his fourth Presidents Cup Top Sales award at Friesens. I'm so proud of him! He has quite a collection of awards growing! He has also made huge healthy changes in his diet and fitness. He started running, and is now doing a 9-minute mile. So impressive! He also does yoga, strength training, and keeps snacks to a minimum. He's lost 20 pounds...and is still losing!

I'm running every day too. I had to stop for a long time, because I kept getting injuries. But we got a treadmill, and since then, I haven't had even ONE problem! So I'm able to run 30 minutes everyday again. I don't enjoy it, but I know it's good for me...and it's a commitment Jason and I have made. So we do it!

We still find Ottawa a challenging city to live in. Church, relationships...it hasn't been easy. And it continues to take alot of emotional effort to stay positive. But we know from the blessings, that God meant for us to be here...and we just have to keep that in mind as we learn what we can in the harder bits.

Okay...that was a long blog. But now you are caught up...


4 comments:

Lanney said...

Good to hear how things are going! I like these little glimpses into your world.

Trudy said...

Oh yeah, finally, that is a very nice and entertaining blog Yvonne. I am so glad your parents "are growing up". We might be independent now, but....... we could have never done this without you and Jason! How proud we are of his accomplishments and how amazed we are of our daughter, you!

Once in a while forget about Facebook, and blog, besides me, many others enjoy reading it.

Love you!

Brigitte said...

yay you've blogged. its nice to read about you again. keep it up girl

Brigitte said...

yay you've blogged. you haven't blog in so long. I love how you write and ur story sooo keep it up girl.
xx