Thursday, September 23, 2010

Business God's way...

I was looking over my 'book keeping' program at all the late invoices I have. Stink. I really could use that income. Why don't people pay? I don't quite understand that...frustrating.

I figure the best way to get people to pay you is not to nag them...but pray that God blesses their business. Oh...I'm not dumb...I do send late notices...and keep my nose in their door etc. But if they aren't just lazy...if they really can't pay at this moment...isn't the best solution prayer?

I learned this from Jason years ago.

When he applied for the job at Friesens, there was another guy who they had narrowed it down to as well. The two of them were the last standing. I remember asking Jason how to approach this...because saying "God...please give me the job!!" works well for YOU...but what about the other guy? Doesn't God love him too? Wasn't his wife at home just as hopeful as I was? I remember Jason saying to me "I will NOT pray that I get the job....I will only pray that God brings a better job...more blessing, greater opportunity etc for the other guy." I thought that was awesome. I mean...we really felt this was the job for Jason. But instead of focusing our prayer on "oh God...me me me me...", Jason turned it into real, true caring intercession for the other applicant. It wasn't just lip service...he really started to pray for this guy's life!

I wonder what ever happened to that guy.

Anyway...we seem to make prayer this event that is just simply all about what we need, or don't have...instead of flipping it, and making it about the person on the other end. I don't need to pray that God blesses my business...as much as I need to be praying that God blesses my customers! Can you imagine? Can you imagine how amazing it would be if when your client was in your office...you were praying the blessing of God on their lives? Who knows what kind of spiritual chain reaction that could cause....

I truly believe that life in God's economy is so drastically different than this word's economy. As Christians, we are part of a greater Kingdom, aren't we? And what makes a Kingdom a Kingdom anyway? Simply that it has a King! And our King does things much differently than man. His rule is different...his laws are different...and there is an invitation for us to experience what business and careers look like in HIS Kingdom. Why are you bored with your job? Perhaps you aren't looking at it like He does. Your job is your ministry. How fruitful is it?

This is where Jason and my passion for the marketplace stems from. Imagine Christians looking at their jobs in a new way. Not just your pay-cheque...but an opportunity to see the Kingdom coming on earth (as it is in heaven, right?) ...righteous behaviour, people living by upside-down Godly principals. And incredible, unfathomable blessing coming on businesses who adhere to these simple principals.

This economy may be in a recession...but God's isn't. What does that look like? And not just in the spiritual realm...but in the nuts and bolts of the business world.

I could write forever on this...but I have to get back to work! :)

2 comments:

Lanney said...

Yvonne!! I love all your righting but for some reason, this one has really struck a cord with me and was really encouraging...and motivating. It actually reminded me of the amazing opportunity I have to intercede and pray for people as I work. So, Thanks!

Trudy said...

What an incredible post Yvonne, sure makes you think. There is more to it than just going to "church".It is a lifestyle and you put it so right, thanks for that!

Mom