Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What would YOU do?

We have never talked about Santa, really. We don't tell the kids that he's real, or not real. We don't discuss him bringing presents. In fact, we buy gifts and wrap them, putting them under the tree as soon as they are wrapped....so the kids can watch the gifts collect around the tree. It causes such glee in them the weeks leading up to Christmas! Anneka at age 4...ever the realist...looked at me and said "Kids in my class actually BELIEVE in Santa! But I just smile and nod my head when they talk about him." (following a talk about how it's a parent's job to give big news like that)

However, Aila....our little dramatic one....talks about Santa all the time. Now...I don't truly thinks she believes...because she sees the gifts collecting....and we open gifts on Christmas Eve (before Santa even is supposed to have come) But I think she loves the idea of him. The fun of him...and the magical part of it thrills her. 

Yesterday I found this note on our tree.


By Aila Parks

To Santa
Are you Real?
Answer my Question
Answer it yes or no
Circle
YES OR NO

Merry Christmas










So...what do we do? Circle YES? Circle NO? Ignore it?
I considered writing her a note from Santa that said something like
Dear Aila,
Why thank you...what a lovely note! To answer your question: I live in your imagination! I'm fun to think about, dream about, and talk about! However, I don't actually live in real life. But it's fun to pretend every year...and have fun with the thought of me.
Merry Christmas!
Love, Santa.

I figure this is a smart way of answering her question truthfully, but still not bursting her imaginative bubble. Or is it?

So parents, what would YOU do?

4 comments:

Lynne said...

I am really interested to find out what others will say.

I think it is neat how we all celebrate in different ways. I love the idea of having no presents under the tree until Christmas morning. I love that. I love seeing the kids and their expression of seeing nothing to an explosion of presents overnight. That is when we as a family celebrate our Christmas. (I also do that to prevent them from opening, shaking, breaking, or guessing about any of them.) But wrapping them and placing them under the tree does seem like a more relaxed tradition.

For Alyssa they talk about Santa at school too and I tell her about who the "Santa of today" is modeled after but tell her that he isn't real at the get go. But I also tell her that she can have fun with the idea but not to be hard on any of her friends that believe in Santa. I'm sure I believed in Santa when I was a young girl and I grew out of it. Aila knows about Jesus and the reason why He was born on this earth and that is what's most important. I think your letter is a very good idea.

Jennifer said...

Our kids know that Santa is not real because I didn't want them to question me about the reality of Christ if I told them Santa was real and then told them he's not later. Eliana has a vivid imagination and says things like, "I ADORE Santa." The fact that I have told her that he's not real doesn't squash her imagination, just like she knows that barbies are not alive, but she still pretends they are talking and talks to them like they are alive.
But (my disclaimer)...every family is different and every child is different. Whatever you do, she still will remember a wonderful childhood because you show her such love.

Nancy said...

I think if the tooth fairy is real, then it's ok for Santa to be real too for awhile. Gramma loves them all ......

Nancy said...

I think if the tooth fairy can be real then Santa can be real for awhile as well....Gramma is a believer.....