Monday, October 13, 2008

Tired

I started the Iron supplements. I wonder how long it will take until I feel better? I'm just so tired....all the time. I feel so disappointed in myself, because it's hard to run when i feel so completely wiped. I know I should give myself a break, but if I miss 1 or 2 nights of running, it's so easy to fall of the wagon altogether. (Story of my life) Pig-headed Consistency is what has always kept me going with whatever habit I've started (good or bad!)

But as much as I want to do it, my body just feels wiped. All the time. Frustrating. Today I'm close to tears. I find that when I feel this way, i just feel sad. Down. And I don't feel like doing anything. Everything feels like too much effort. Bah!

The good news is that iron actually helps thinning hair. I thought my hair was falling out and thinning just because i was getting older. Now it turns out that it was a symptom of the iron deficiancy. Nice. Would have been nice to know that before spending so much on over-priced salon shampoos.

Today is Thanksgiving. We had our turkey dinner yesterday with Jason's Mom. (Jason and I did a turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatos, mashed turnip, beets, and peas.) It was just the 5 of us. It's alot of food for 3 adults and 2 kids, but it was nice. The only problem was that I was so exhausted the whole time. Today i'm kinda thankful that we don't have any family dinners to attend, because I think I'd have to cancel anyway.

So I wonder how long until I feel better??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne --

I'm curious, were you ever checked for pcos: polycystic ovarian syndrome? Some of the symptoms you talk of sound similiar to higher insulin levels. Do you eat much for refined carbs? Just another thought.

Debi Banderman :)

Yvonne Parks said...

Hey Debi

I do eat alot of refined carbs, but i just looked up polycystic ovarian syndrome, and I don't have any of those symptoms. : (

Anonymous said...

I guess I questioned it because of the thinning hair and tiredness, mostly.

Ya' know -- some of the tiredness might be due a lot to your diet of refined carbs. I know that's not fun to change......trust me, oh how I know! But, I know that when I eat a lot of refined carbs, therefore making my body output a lot more insulin and then my sugar levels crash and I'm TIRED, TIRED, TIRED! But, if I keep my refined carbs lower and eat more protein, my energy is so much better.

I totally screwed up last week and ate horrible -- AWFUL! -- and I was sooooooooooooooooo tired and exhausted...it was bad! So, the last few days I've limited my carbs and today was soooooooooooo much better, I didn't even feel the need to take a nap and I worked out at 5:30am!

Might be worth really reviewing your diet -- I'll help ya' if you want. :)

Debi

Brigitte said...

Poor Yvonne I know the feeling, take as much rest u can take sometime just a power nap 15 min max in the afternoon can bring up your energy faster. Try to do thing that really relax u so u can disconnect from work and other distraction that bring up stress. Fresh air is also very helpfull. Take courage you'll see result soon.
luv xx

Karla said...

I'm severely anemic (my doc recommended I take 3 iron supplements during my period and 1 during the rest of the month). I hear your pain with the thinning hair.... It is crazy how much hair I sweep up around this house! Perhaps this is a bit personal since we don't know each other, but do you have really heavy periods?? The good thing about being diagnosed with low iron is that you have an excuse to occasionally bow out of things you really don't want to do!! Hang in there and be consistent. Eat lots of dark leafy greens too.

Anonymous said...

Yvonne,
I was anemic with all three kids. With Manoah I waited to long to start suppliments and when I did, most people noticed a change in me almost as soon as I started, but it took me almost a month before I felt like I was back on my feet again. I was taking 600mg/day of iron. I found that carrying a bag of pumpkin seeds around with me helped too. Hang in there, don't let go of your excercise routine. You need those endorphins!

Anonymous said...

Woops, that last comment was me, Loraleigh, forgot I need to ENTER my name if I want it to appear.