Saturday, November 27, 2010

Snow

Well...we finally got some snow. Not much, just a 'dusting'....but enough to make it feel like winter. Luckily, the coldest it gets during the day this week will be about -1...and the high around 5C. At night it gets colder...around -8....but that's still nowhere near as cold as Winnipeg. So I'm not complaining.

Every morning I check the forecast for the day here in Ottawa. And then I look at Winnipeg. Everyday. Why do I care what the weather is like in Winnipeg? I've been gone for over 3 years! I don't even have any family there anymore. So why check? Well...I suppose when I feel cranky about the cold/snow here...I can always find the bright side by saying "Well..it's not as cold as Winnipeg!" And I suppose....it still feels like home.

It also is much much more cloudy here than Winnipeg ever was. Winnipeg was almost always sunny in the winter. But again....finding the bright side....is that the clouds keep it warm. They act like a big duvet....so when I see cloud cover, I know its gonna be a less-cold day. Did you know that clouds can't exist in super-cold weather? Yup....that's the reason it's sunny in Winnipeg so much. The cold makes it impossible for clouds to even form! So clouds=warmer weather.

It seems however, that the older I get, the more tiring this "cold and snow" business of winter becomes. I've told Jason that "before I die, I want to have lived in a place that has summer year-round!" California comes to mind. But then again...perhaps it's funner to grow old and become one of those 'snow-birds'. Retire, and spend the winters in a warmer climate. That would mean I need to really have the finances to support such a retirement!

Okay....I'm inspired. Back to work!!!!


ps...the above image is from a live webcam, so if you're reading this at night, and the picture is black...that's why!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do have family in Winnipeg. Just reminding you :)
Monica

Kristi said...

As someone living in the tropics this winter, it's not all it's cracked up to be! I miss snow and it's just way too hot! It is so much nicer to have the variety of seasons! So don't worry...you aren't missing much!